Tutorials

Thursday, August 18, 2011

T-shirt Quilt Tutorial

I have been asked to put this tutorial here.  Wish me luck as I have never done one before.  But hey, a good challenge is always a good thing right?

Here we go!  I dug to the bottom of the t-shirt drawer for this one.

Cut the sleeves off

Cut the front and back apart (up the sides and across the top)
Here is where I missed a step - will try to add it later.  I should have shown how to measure the design so you know how much stabilizer you need.  You will see later I blew it :(
For the sake of this tute I pieced my stabilizer together.  It works and there is no real reason why you can't do it.  Save money! I cut this to cover a 15.5 square ruler.
Next you iron the stabilizer to the t-shirt. Make sure you use enough stabilizer to cover the entire design plus some extra. (too late I realized I should not have used gray - it's hard to see the stabilizer)
Turn the t-shirt over and place your ruler over the design.  I used the 12.5 square but should not have as it was not big enough to cover the design.
Cut around your square and you have your ready to  use block.
Hope this helps you.

I don't know the name of the stabilizer used in this tute but I have Pellon Sof-Shape to use on my next one.

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see it. I think it will be great. I've seen your quilts that you've made with t-shirts and have liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Connie. I like how you didn't remove your mistakes. That helps because I will probably make the same ones. I plan on doing a t-shirt quilt out of some of the t-shirts that Dan gave me before he retired from the military.

    What kind of stabilizer did/do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. checking this out from this computer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Connie. I found you thru Bonni's post. I think she is a sincere soul, so here I am. Have fun with your blog. It is a learning and growing process.

    ReplyDelete